5-star Atacama Desert
& Santiago Tour
From a Deluxe tour of Santiago de Chile
to the Geysers & Flamingoes of the Explora Atacama
- or choose our new 4-star luxury tour option!
- Full Itinerary
- Price & Contact
Chile's natural wonders: Santiago de Chile, a Mediterranean coast, rolling hills, volcanoes and the Andes, the highest mountain range in the Western Hemisphere, Geysers, the driest desert in the world. Flamingoes and red highland lagoons. Chile is also a heaven for lovers of excellent wines and incredible food. The second biggest producer of Salmon, Chile always includes a couple of salmon varieties on the menu in any restaurant.
- Santiago de Chile, the Radisson Hotel*****
- Valparaiso and Viña del Mar Excursion
- Concha y Toro Winery excursion
- Oasis of luxury: Explora Atacama Resort
- Geyser El Tatio
- Flamingoes of the highland lagoons
- Moon Valley
- And always gourmet food and the best wines on Earth
- 8 Days/7 Nights in 5**** Hotels
- 5 Dinners
- 4 Lunches
- All Breakfasts
- All Transfers
- English-speaking Guides
- 24 hour contact to our Chile office
Sunday: Arrive this morning in Santiago de Chile, gateway to the Andes, situated between mountain peaks and the Pacific Ocean. Your SouthAmerica.travel Chile tour guide will accompany you to your 5***** Hotel Radisson. Centrally located for all sights in the historic center of Santiago, ideally for shopping and exploring the historic parts on your own. Or just to enjoy the view with the Andes in the background from the roof top swimming pool.
Private sightseeing of Santiago and it's environs: your guide introduces you to this city nestled between mountains on your private sightseeing tour: Enjoy a city tour visiting both the historic and modern centers of Santiago, as well as a trip to neighboring San Cristobal for a good look at the surrounding area.
Dinner tonight is included.
Monday: Half-day excursion to Concha y Toro Winery
Visit to Concha y Toro, one of the most famous Chilean vineyards around the world. Located in the Maipo River canyon, planted with grapevines of the most noble French stock such as cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Pinot Noir and others. Founded in 1883 showing today a most modern technology in cooling equipment, stainless steel tanks, filters and oak casks which has lead as making of exceptional wines such as Don Melchor, Cabernet Sauvignon, Casillero del Diablo, third in sales surpassed only by France and Italy. Take the afternoon at leisure for shopping around.
Tuesday: Full-day excursion to Valparaiso and Viña del Mar
Valparaíso, the oldest port in Chile. Though no longer its largest port, it retains tremendous historical significance and beauty, as well as being home. to the Chilean House of Assembly and Senate. The upper and lower parts of the city are connected through 16 funicular railways constructed around the turn of the century, a time when the city experienced tremendous growth.
Parts of Valparaiso are considered to become a UNESCO heritage site.
From Valparaíso, continue along the coast to the beautiful beaches of Viña del Mar, the Garden city, named for its many parks and green spaces.
Wednesday: The Adventure in all comfort begins
After breakfast transfer to the Airport for your flight along Chile's long coast up North to Calama, about 60 miles away from San Pedro de Atacama, the Oasis in the desert.
Check in to Explora Hotel***** Atacama, which has only 50 rooms, but 4 swimming pools, and which fits in perfectly with the surrounding landscape. You will be introduced to the many options the hotel has to offer: Off course there are the excursions but you can pack you day with other more active activities; Horse back riding, hikes, trekking, biking, hill climbing, ...
Please see a detailed list of all included tours at the bottom of this page.
Thursday: All meals and excursions are included (See List of possible Tours)
We suggest: Valley of the Moon
See the Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon) to see the sunset in this bizarre, almost lunar landscape formed by the erosion of salt mountains. Strange sculpted rock formations in the middle of the desert with the Lincancabur Volcano in the background make for a particularly rare experience. After sunset we return to San Pedro.
Friday: All meals and excursions are included (See List of possible Tours)
We suggest: Miscanti y Meñiques: Lagoons and Flamingoes on the Altiplano.
During this excursion we drive deep into the Altiplano. On lonesome unpaved roads we shall pass Socaire ð the oasis of a mountain river. The few inhabitants of Socaire depend on terraced agriculture (maize, wheat, potatoes). After another rise to an altitude of 4.700 m we will be rewarded by a spectacular view: the very scenic blue-black twin lagoons Meñiques and Miscanti, edged by a white crust of salt, they form a majestic picture of silence. Wildlife is especially abundant in this area. You are sure to see many different species of ducks and other bird-life around the lagoons, as well as llamas and vicuñas in herds along the hillsides. Towering in the background Cerro Meñiques overlooks this vast section of the Altiplano.
We shall continue to visit the world‚s largest salt lake: the Salar de Atacama. Rich in minerals, including borax and lithium, it is home. to various species of flamingoes as well as many other birds. The Laguna Chaxa, part of the Reserva Nacional de los Flamingoes, offers a terrific opportunity to get closer to these birds in their natural habitat. In the evening we return to the hotel in San Pedro.
Saturday: All meals and excursions are included (See List of possible Tours)
We suggest: Geysers El Tatio
Very early departure for the Geysers of El Tatio. El Tatio is situated at 4.500 m above sea level on the Altiplano. The geysers are spectacular in the early morning. There are about 40 geysers, thermal wells and fumaroles. The early morning light striking the water and steam hurling up from the geysers, makes for an unforgettable experience.
On our way back to San Pedro we shall see green bushes of Yareta shining in the sparse desert. In the early afternoon we reach San Pedro and the rest of the day will be at your leisure to explore the environs. Maybe you would like to visit the 800 years old pre-Inca fortress Pucará de Quitor nearby?
Sunday: Journey home or continue on:
After breakfast transfer back to Calama and flight to Santiago in order to connect with your flight Chile Tours and Travel or in order to continue on an other deluxe tour:
See Patagonia the Southern Andes and Buenos Aires on our The Very Best of Argentina Tour or continue on the very popular Tango, Samba & Waterfalls tour and see Buenos Aires, Iguassu Falls, the Atlantic Rainforest and Rio de Janeiro.
Tours in San Pedro de Atacama: A wide selection of tours are included in this tour price, tours you choose upon arrival. Tours for every taste, age, and physical ability. See below for tours and their description and difficulty.
- To Catarpe: Easy. Duration: 2 ½ to 3 hrs.
Itinerary: Quebrada del Diablo -Valle de Quitor - Tambo Catarpe.
- Quebrada del Diablo: Medium. Duration: 2 ½ to 3 hrs.
- Valle de la Muerte: Medium. Duration: 2 ½ to 3 hrs.
Itinerary: Valle de Quitor, visiting Pukará de Quitor.
- Chulacao: Medium. Duration: 2 hrs.
Itinerary: Mine and its surroundings.
- To Termas de Puritama: Medium. Duration: 2 ½ - 3 hrs.
Itinerary: Arrival to hot springs, picnic buffet and possibility to bathe.
- Las Cornisas: Medium. Duration: 2 ½ - 3 hrs.
- Rio Grande: Medium. (*) Duration: 1 ½ hrs. by van to Machuca. On foot 5 to 6 hours (includes picnic) Coming back 1 ½ hrs. by van.
- By the foothills of the Lascar at 4.500 m (14.800 feet): (*) Medium Duration and Itinerary: Departure: 8 a.m. to Salar de Tara, then to Laguna Lejía. Picnic at an Altitude of 4.200 meters. Ascension by van to Volcán Láscar at an altitude 4.500 meters. Descending on foot for 2 ½ hours . Views. Second option: On foot between Tumbre and Talabre Viejo: 2 ½ hrs. Easy.
- Valle de la Luna: Easy. Duration: ½ - 1 hour.
Note: This exploration is only programmed for moonlighted nights.
- Hike through the Ayllus: At Solor or Sequitor or Cucuter.(1) Both hikes are within the concept of traveling in Atacama, which are the base of the explorations from group "B"
TRAVELING THROUGH ATACAMA
The extend territory and its different points of interest allow excursions in small groups by Van, that last half or one day. These excursions capture profound landscapes, natural events and inhabited places that bare the ingredients and surprises that make the experience unforgettable.
- Callejón de Varela: Itinerary : Departure at 7:00 AM to Laguna Lejía - Breakfast . Picnic at Salar de Aguas Calientes at 4.000 m Visit Lagunas and Socaire. Back at the Hotel at 6:30 P.M. Note: It might include a 2 hour walk down the gorge from Laguna Miscanti.
- The Heights of Tatio: Itineraries and departure time : To experience the geysers in action, departure is before 6:00 A.M., otherwise at 08:00 A.M.. There are two alternatives: Half day, coming back to the Hotel for lunch; one day with picnic: a) Bathing in Termas de Puritama and on foot to Guatín. b) Through Turipiti and Machuca Valley with picnic, on foot by Bofedal and Valley.
- Tulor: Duration: 1 ½ hour round trip.
- Salar de Atacama: Duration: 2 ½ to 3 hours - Flamingos.
- Toconao y Quebrada de Jerés. Duration : 2 ½ hours. A good opportunity for an afternoon cup of tea.
- Caspana : Duration : departures are at 7:30 A.M. Itinerary : ascent Tatio. Breakfast. Arrival to Caspana and visit, depending what time it is, first picnic then a 2 hours on foot visiting the agricultural terraces. Note : This exploration is recommended on departure day, to finish at the airport and avoid coming back to the hotel. (Explora takes the luggage directly to the airport)
- Plateau of Turi: Departure at 7:00 A.M. to El Tatio, arrival at Toconce through Linzor. Visit the Terraces. Picnic at Toconao or at Turi. Following, visit Pukará Turi and visit Aiquina. Note : This exploration is recommended on departure day, to finish at the airport and avoid coming back to the hotel. (Explora takes the luggage directly to the airport)
- Visit to Pukará Lasana / Chiu Chiu Recommended on departure day, allowing to have a light lunch at the Hotel.
TRAVELING THROUGH HISTORY
- Conference at the hotel An archeologist's or an anthropologist's points of view of the history, geography and cultural aspects of Atacama.
- Museo Le Paige in San Pedro Guided tour to the Museum's collection, with tombs, ceramics, and forms of cultures that have lived and passed through Atacama.
- Tour to Archeological Sites According with visitor's interest, a tour can be arranged to specific archeological places.
- Valle de Quitor: Duration : 2 ½ to 4 hours visit Pukará and Catarpe.
- Valle de Muerte: Duration : 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours. Itinerary : Valle de Quitor, Valle de la Muerte. Optional Pukará de Quitor.
- Through the Ayllus: a) Beach and Sequitor : Duration 1 ½ to 2 hours. b) Solor : Duration 2 to 2 ½ hours. c) Cucuter y Poconche : Duration 3 ½ hours . Coming back via
- Sequitor. d) Tulor and Beter : Duration 3 hours. Coming back via Sequitor.
- To Valle de Quitor: Duration : 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours. Itinerary : Valle de Quitor, optional visit to Pukará . Church.
- Quebrada del Diablo: Duration : 2 ½ to 3 hours. Itinerary : Quebrada del Diablo / Catarpe.
- To Piedra de la Coca : Difficult Duration : 3½ to 4 hours. Early departure. Itinerary : To return there are two options, by Valle de Muerte or by highway.
- To Tulor : Difficult Duration : 3 ½ hours. Itinerary : Surrounding Ayllu. Sandy Optional : Without surrounding Ayllu - 2 hours.
- To Solor : Duration : 2 hours Itinerary : To Solor.
- Sequitor and Ayllus: Duration : 1 ½ hours Itinerary : to Sequitor along the beach.
- Explora's Challenge: Challenge, to who climbs the furthest from trail to Paso Jama. Views and downhill. Paved road.
- El Toco (5.600 m altitude) Duration : One journey, in vehicle up to an altitude of 4.600 meters, on foot to the peak - 3 hours. Note : Requires acclimatization in San Pedro and previous training. Authorization subject to physical fitness. Mountain clothing is required.
- Volcan Láscar. 5.400 meters altitude. Duration : One journey, in vehicle up to an altitude of 4.700 meters, on foot to the peak - 3 ½ - 4 hours. From October to April. Note : Requires acclimatization in San Pedro and previous training. Authorization subject to physical fitness. Mountain clothing and anti-smoke mascara are required (provided at the hotel).
- Volcan Sairecabur: 6.100 meters altitude. Duration : One journey, in vehicle up to an altitude of 5.200 meters, on foot to the peak 4 - 5 hours. Note : A previous ascent to Volcán Láscar is necessary.
- Volcán Apagado: 5.700 meters altitude. Duration : One journey, in vehicle up to an approximate altitude of 5.000 meters,on foot to the peak - 4 hours. Degree of slope is more elevated than in other volcanoes of the zone. Note : Requires acclimatization in San Pedro and previous training. Authorization Subject to physical fitness. Mountain clothing is required.
- Volcán Licancabur: 5.900 meters altitude. Duration : 2 - 3 nights, depending on physical fitness. Note : Requires acclimatization subject to physical fitness. Mountain clothing is required. This exploration has to be programmed 60 - 90 days in advance so as to adequately prepare it. Visa is required for entering Bolivia.
Got a small group? Get even BIGGER discounts!
or consider joining one of our Special Edition Tours:
THE South America Wine Tour - Special Edition
The Essence of Peru - Special Edition
Tango, Samba, Waterfalls & Carnival
Tango Samba Waterfalls & New Year's in Rio
Tango, Samba & Oktoberfest in Brazil
As most trips operates on commercial air, space may be extremely limited 90 days prior to departure. To ensure your spot, we encourage you to book as early as possible.
Follow our South America Travel Blog!
Tel (0800) 747-4540
Tel +49 (711) 856-6972
Fax +49 (711) 856-6971
We work with Travel Agents! View our Travel Agents portal for more info.
SouthAmerica.travel do Brasil
SouthAmerica.travel del Peru